St Mary's, Kingaroy
The land for the church was originally donated around 1907 by Daniel Carroll. Constructions on the church began shortly after and officially opened in 1909 under the umbrella of the Nanango Parish.
Since then, the church has been enlarged with two subsequent extensions which were made possible through the donations of parishioners, including the relocation of the entry to the church which now includes a gathering area for parishioners.
The addition of the school became possible with the aid of the Sisters of Charity and taken over 5 years later by the Sisters of Good Samaritan. 1992 saw the school move to its current location allowing for a new presbytery to be built.
Our Lady of Peace, Kumbia
The Catholic community in Kumbia originally held Mass in the community hall.
After plans were delayed by the Great War, a priest by the name of Fr Masterson purchased 2 acres of land in 1918 and donated it as a site for a new church to be built.
Donations of £300 were received from across the region and in conjunction with the amount on hand the debt to build the new church was only £160. The church was blessed and opened in 1919. The name 'Our Lady of Peace' came about in recognition of the end of the war.
Our Lady, Help of Christians, Nanango
Nanango’s first Catholic Church, St George’s, was blown down during a storm in 1898. A second St George’s church was opened in 1899. Fr James Bergin, a much loved parish priest, was appointed to Nanango in 1909. He served his community tirelessly until his untimely death in 1914.
This became a catalyst in the decision to build a memorial church in his honour. Within one month of planning, WWI began and several parishioners were enlisted, leaving building delayed for three years after the initial decision was made. The foundation stone was laid during construction and within 8 months of beginning the church was completed. At the time of the official opening in May 1918, the total cost to purchase the land and build was £4200 with donations received of £3200.
1912 saw Michael Collins present a piece of land to Fr Bergin for building a convent and school. This building served as a convent until 1982 for the sisters who taught at the school. Sadly it was demolished in 1983. St Patrick’s school opened in 1922 after the convent was becoming inadequate to accommodate all the children.
Sacred Heart, Blackbutt
Consecration of this church took place in 1913.
The cedar altar from the second St George’s church Nanango was relocated into the Blackbutt church
St Malachy's, Cooyar
First Masses in the area were said to be in Mrs Kelly’s boarding house. 1910 saw a church built and extensions taking place in 1968 and again in 1972.
The church was named after Sister Malachy Mary (sister of John Gracey who donated the land). Up until 1909, Cooyar fell under the Dalby Parish until Fr James Bergin organised clarification as to Mass stations.
Our Lady of Dolours, Yarraman
Goode’s Inn & Lamont’s Hall were the locations of the first Masses in the area. The church was built on land formerly the site of Hiernan & Luck’s store.
Despite Yarraman being notoriously known for its timber industry, timber for the Church was purchased elsewhere.
Opened in 1921 and built for the cost of approx. £950, by the end of the Sunday Mass the debt owing was only £50. For a brief period, a Catholic school was in operation but was closed down in 1965 and the building was moved to Blackbutt and used as a function centre.